THE COW (contd.)
This is directed at the pagan Quraysh and Jews among the audience, who already know the story of Adam’s descent from heaven, in a bid to remind them what happens when man challenges or disobeys the Lord
26. Allah is not afraid to give an example of his power. Even something as seemingly insignificant as a gnat becomes a miracle of creation when you look at is closely. Believers get this straight away, but non-believers will say, “so what?” It is their blindness that Allah uses to guide those who are willing to see the light.
27. But the real losers are not the non-believers, but those who once embraced the righteous ways of Allah, but then broke away from the faith just to cause mischief on earth.
28. Consider this: you were once nothing. Then you came to being. Then you will die. Yet once again you will have life breathed into you. How can you know this to be true yet disbelieve in Allah?
29. It is he who created everything on Earth, he who fashioned seven heavens in the sky, he who knows everything.
30. And when your lord said to the angels, “I will place a representative on Earth,” they wondered: “Will he not create havoc there and shed blood? Are our hymns and praises not harmonious enough for you?” Allah hushed them, saying: “I know things you could not possibly imagine.”
31. And so Allah gave his representative Adam the ability to recognise everything on heaven and earth. He then showed the angels many things on heaven and earth and challenged them to name them all.
32. They conceded: “Glory to you. We don’t know what these are. We don’t know anything beyond what you taught us. You are all-knowing and wise.”
33. Then Allah said to Adam, “Tell them”, and Adam told the angels what all those things were. And Allah said: “There is more to heaven and earth than what you can see. I know its secrets as well as those that you hide from me.”
34. And when the angels were told, “Bow before Adam”, they did so readily. All except Iblis. Too proud to kneel before a mere mortal, Iblis became the first non-believer.
35. Then Adam was shown to the Gardens of Heaven and told: “You and your wife can dwell here freely and eat anything that takes your fancy, but here’s a test of your willpower. Do not go near that tree over there. If you do, it will show us wrongdoing is in your nature.”
36. But Satan tempted them to take from the tree and their disobedience gained them immediate expulsion. They were told: “You are the fallen. You are your own worst enemies. You must now fend for yourself on Earth and stay there until you can prove you’ve learned right from wrong.”
37. Adam was beside himself with remorse and Allah, being merciful, accepted his repentance.
38. He said: “Now all of you. Go down to Earth and wait for further instructions. Anyone who follows my guidance will never know fear or sorrow.”
39. “But anyone who disbelieves, or denies my revelations can expect to be doomed to burn in hellfire for all eternity.”